[ros-users] [Orocos-users] Joint controller manager

Herman Bruyninckx Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be
Mon Jan 28 16:51:55 UTC 2013

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Jonathan Bohren wrote:

> Based on this thread, and from what I know about other efforts going on in the
> community, I just went ahead and created a google group called "ros-robot-control-sig"
> [1].
> My thought is that purpose of this group should be to coordinate efforts on a common
> interface for robot control in a ROS-based system as well as a common realtime-friendly
> and simulation-friendly controller architecture. While different platforms will always
> call for different architectures, it would be great if the different systems spoke the
> same ROS interfaces, and if similar computation platforms could use the same libraries
> for control.

Allow me to disagree... Putting the design of interfaces (and "topic" data
structures) at the level of a programming language as the most important
design decision is wrong: robotics is one of the few technology domains
(together with computer vision and machine learning) where software and
systems are made 100% by compilers and hand-written libraries; other
domains (automative, aerospace, mechatronics and control,...) start with
standardizing _models_ (and their semantics), and _generate_ code from
there.

What I now see happening all the time (and especially in the context of
so-called "hackathons") is that developers _have_ to look at each others'
implementations in order to make components/nodes work together, since the
_meaning_ of the topics is not ambiguously defined. (Similar problems occur
at the level of the "actions": too many configuration parameters are in the
"code" and not in the "model".)

And finally, the data topics on their own never fully represent an
_interface_ between two concurrent activities: there just represent functional
data flow, but also discrete coordination, bi-lateral QoS
adaptations, introspection, and data buffering policies are parts of the
interaction between components.

> If you are working on such an architecture, please sign up and post a link to your
> project and please share your experiences. It's open for anyone to join!
>
> Please also don't hesitate to join the list and tell us all that such an effort is
> futile, and why you think so ;)
>
> [1] https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/ros-robot-control-sig
>
> -jon

Herman

--
   KU Leuven, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics Research Group
     <http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~bruyninc> Tel: +32 16 328056