[ros-users] [Orocos-users] Joint controller manager

Herman Bruyninckx Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be
Mon Jan 28 21:32:01 UTC 2013

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Edwards, Shaun M. wrote:

> Herman,
>
> Regarding tools for the MDE approach, I think you've missed an
> opportunity here.  You've certainly made the argument for the MDE
> approach, but you are less clear when it comes to the tools that can be
> used.  It's clear that you have a lot of experience in this space, you
> should be able to offer your opinion on the best tool for the job.  I
> think it's a hard pill to swallow for most developers when you suggest
> new methods for development with very little guidance on the toolbox to
> get the job done.  If I'm going to spend time to learn a new development
> method, I don't want to spend even more time evaluating tools.

I don't know a good tool for the purposes of modelling and code generation
for ROS or Orocos-based systems, unfortunately. :-(

> By the way, I don't buy that the simple model-to-model transformations
> make the tool selection irrelevant.  If we decide to go this route for
> this or any other development, let's standardize on a capable, supported,
> easy to use tool.

Please, please, please: the _most important_ thing to standardize are the
"meta models" and not the tools. A good meta model will allow many
different tools to be used for parts of a full design, development and
deployment process.

> Shaun Edwards

Herman

--
   KU Leuven, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics Research Group
     <http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~bruyninc> Tel: +32 16 328056