[ros-users] catkin_make convenience improvements

Christian Dornhege dornhege at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jan 30 17:40:43 UTC 2013

Hi,
On 30.01.2013 17:59, Thibault Kruse wrote:
> Hi all,

> I raised some concerns over catkin_make convenience in a meeting, here
> are the results of the brainstorming. catkin_make is mostly a
> convenience wrapper to cmake/make, for usage with the catkin build
> system starting with ROS Groovy.
>
> In it's current state, catkin_make may not as convenient as it could be.
> Current quirks are:
> - the workspace/src folder in itself is not popular with everybody
+1
> - it is inconvenient to have to cd into the workspace folder to invoke
> catkin_make

This does break my workflow and although I am still mainly on rosbuild
my proposed solution is a wrapper script that does the following:
1. save the current directory (pushd)
2. cd .. until either at / or workspace folder is detected
3. catkin_make $@
4. Jump back (popd)

2. is a bit hacky: My definition of workspace folder is:
- there is a CMakeLists.txt
- that is a symlink
- to the main cmake in /opt/ros

The marker file that you discuss later could make this safer.
If more people need this a behavior it might be good to include that
into catkin_make by default.

Best,
   Christian

> - it is inconvenient that wstool commands work in the src folder and
> below only, currently, meaning another "cd" step
> - invoking catkin_make once with custom options (for build/src
> locations), and then again without options does not remember the last
> options, and retyping the options is also cumbersome.
> - cleaning up builds (make clean, make distclean) does not work too well
> and is cumbersome, more support would be nice
+1