[ros-users] OS Usage Survey

Thomas Moulard thomas.moulard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 04:23:26 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Tully Foote <tfoote at osrfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> To facilitate the release timeline discussion please take a moment to fill
> out this survey about your ROS usage past and expected so we can make an
> informed decision going forward.
>
> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JY63R3Z
>
> We will keep this survey open through the end of the week.

Hi Tully,
thanks for putting this form altogether.

Just two remarks:

1. The question 3 is difficult to answer.

In my case (a bit extreme but still :) I use three distributions:
- Ubuntu *LTS* Lucid on my robot (yes not even the last LTS but we
have constraints on this...)
- LTS or last Ubuntu version for the students at the lab (simulation)
- I also use Debian Sid myself to see problems ahead and so that I can
package software.

2. The question five is also a bit difficult to understand. I mean I
guess all ROS enthousiasts
here would love to see ROS packaged everywhere. And to nitpick a bit,
binary packages on
Gentoo and Arch are kind of rare. Shouldn't the "binary" word be
removed from this question
(...or your goal was it to really make a differentiation on this?)

A last note: most of the users here will probably be Ubuntu users.
Don't take it that we are
all very happy with Ubuntu. Most of them are but my robotics lab
practically switch to Ubuntu
*because* it is so difficult to use ROS with another distribution
(Fedora in this case).
So please don't take this as a fair estimation of Ubuntu popularity in
robotics lab over the world ;-)

Best,
--
Thomas Moulard