[ros-users] Appable Robot Design Proposal

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 02:01:01 UTC 2013

Hi all,

We are going to spend a busy couple of months upgrading the applications
platform (previously installed on turtlebot and pr2) with the aim of
landing it in Turtlebot for either Hydro or Indigo depending on progress.

*Primary Goals*:

The first three are simply upgrades on what was roughly working on
turtlebot and pr2:

1) Easy retasking
2) Convenient installation/upgrade mechanisms
3) Pairing mode for 1-1 control with autodiscovery

These are additional features we are planning to work on:

4) Concert mode for multi-robot research and solutions
5) Capability layer to simplify and improve the robot app portability
6) Properly do public/private interfaces to the robot (i.e. don't expose
the internal master, nor all topics)

If you're interested in providing input, I've kickstarted a
review<http://ros.org/wiki/rocon_app_platform/Reviews/App%20Platform%20Proposal>page
where any and all ideas are welcome.

Best place for discussion is probably on the multimaster sig mailing
list<https://groups.google.com/group/ros-sig-mm>
.

Cheers,
Daniel (Yujin Robot)