[ros-users] [Ros-developers] Proposal to change Changelist location into stack

Armin Hornung HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Mar 8 09:04:08 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-08 09:53, Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian wrote:
> I'm missing how to retrieve the complete version/date history in a
> single place [a]. Other than that, upvote
>
> +1

The same here. I strongly suggest adding the release date to the
version, then I'm also for +1.

It does not have to be mandatory, but should be suggested as "good
style" in the REP. The previous argument against it was that it can be
easily retrieved from the source repo - well, the same is true of a
changelog ;)
Typical users probably won't go through the hassle of finding the source
repository, then locating the proper release tag, then looking at the
commits to just find out which version was released when and how up to
date it is.

When looking at a few released stack, you'll see that it is common to
mention the date in them, that should not be removed:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation/ChangeList/1.8
http://www.ros.org/wiki/ros_comm/ChangeList/1.8
http://www.ros.org/wiki/geometry/ChangeList/1.6

The date also helps to establish a chronological order. When backporting
fixes to past release branches, this is no longer reflected by the
version numbers:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/octomap_mapping/ChangeList

- Armin

--
Armin Hornung
Humanoid Robots Lab, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg