[ros-users] Map Topic Idea

Dereck Wonnacott dereck at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 14:48:27 UTC 2013

Damon,

Well, that just makes all kinds of sense, would you mind sharing your
implementation details? :)

I wonder if we could support this in a generic manor by adding an
'encoding' to nav_msgs/MapMetaData<http://www.ros.org/doc/api/nav_msgs/html/msg/MapMetaData.html>

then nav_msgs/OccupancyGrid's data[] could be encoded in a wide number of
formats. Perhaps we can use openCV to do the encoding/Decoding as well.

This would break backwards compatibility, but it seems like the right way
to go since adding the encode/decode should be a trivial fix
for dependent packages to come up to date.... :/

~Dereck

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.” -
Michelangelo