[ros-users] Submitting ROS software to Debian?

Thomas Moulard thomas.moulard at gmail.com
Mon May 13 07:13:55 UTC 2013

Hello there,
in the latest ROS releases, a lot of effort have been done to enhance
the way ROS is installed/distributed. However, I never heard of any
undergoing effort to submit the software to Debian directly. Is there
some discussion with Debian to see how it can be achieved?

In practice, I am trying to figure out currently whether the
stand-alone projects
(PCL, Ecto and Gazebo) could be included into Debian in an official way.
A bit of polishing is still needed to achieve this (man page redaction,
multiarch support, etc.) but I think this is definitively within reach.

The main issue being that as long as ROS is not available officially,
it will not be possible to compile the ROS bindings for these packages
and include
them in the official repositories.

See the following bug reports for more information:
- Gazebo: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=705440
- PCL: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=703579

IMHO it is a good time for the ROS community and ros-science to start
discussing on how to make this happen. Especially knowing that some
preliminary work
is needed to ensure all 3rd party dependencies are available. I.e.
bullet have only be
migrated to Debian Testing last week (!).

What do you think? Any people interested in this?
--
Thomas Moulard(ムラー トマ)
CNRS-AIST JRL (Joint Robotics Laboratory), UMI3218/CRT, Tsukuba, Japan