[ros-users] Submitting ROS software to Debian?

Willy Lambert lambert.willy at gmail.com
Tue May 14 10:25:45 UTC 2013

2013/5/13 Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda <leo at alaxarxa.net>

> [...]
>

> > In practice, I am trying to figure out currently whether the
> > stand-alone projects
> > (PCL, Ecto and Gazebo) could be included into Debian in an official way.
> > A bit of polishing is still needed to achieve this (man page redaction,
> > multiarch support, etc.) but I think this is definitively within reach.
>
> perfect!!! great news.
>
> > The main issue being that as long as ROS is not available officially,
> > it will not be possible to compile the ROS bindings for these packages
> > and include
> > them in the official repositories.
> >
> > See the following bug reports for more information:
> > - Gazebo: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=705440
> > - PCL: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=703579
> >
> > IMHO it is a good time for the ROS community and ros-science to start
> > discussing on how to make this happen. Especially knowing that some
> > preliminary work
> > is needed to ensure all 3rd party dependencies are available. I.e.
> > bullet have only be
> > migrated to Debian Testing last week (!).
> >
> > What do you think? Any people interested in this?
>
> My opinion is that packaging ros for debian is a nightmare. Ros developers
> have made a lot of afford to make it work on ubuntu, and have develop a
> sophisticated system around cmake (catkin), custom software (bloom) and
> they
> have their own infrastructure, so IMHO, for them to have it in debian it's
> not
> necessary. Maybe ARM arch could change it....
>
> One first approach is to provide a debian target for bloom, and from there
> polish the package generated, but I don't know.
>
> I have tried to make a big source package with all ROS packages and then
> create a bunch of binary packages, but it's a big amount of work. I have to
> admit that I have spend a lot of afford to make something installable on my
> boxes but I'm a bit frustrated.
>
> For example, PCL. You have packaged PCL, Jochen Sprickerhof did it also,
> and
> seems to be a good packages. However, if you want a PCL version packaged,
> you
> need ROS, if not, the ROS code doesn't compile because need some parts.
> It's
> not completely isolated :-(. So, if you package PCL alone, without ROS, you
> will need another version of PCL to compile the ROS stuff that need PCL.
>
> FHS, the ros developers thought that the best way to install their software
> was to put it in /opt/ros/ros-distro. Then, all the users that want to use
> ROS
> must to load the env vars with the includes, paths, libs, etc in the setup
> files. Change it it's not easy ...
>
> Also, the amount of work. About of 170 +- packages a desktop full. Although
> many of them could be small, there are a lot !!!
>
> But, if there's some critical mass, it could be done by some team.

I put some effort some years ago to have everything compiling for debian
squeeze from sources (until electric). In general most of the work was
simply to copy ubuntu osdeps in a new line for debian.

I don't know for more recent ros versions, especially about caktin, but it
should be easy to support at least a compiling version from sources.

So the work should be only on the side of the packaging system. There had
been some discussions about that, but the only thing missing was someone to
do and maintain the work.

There are for sure some Debian user, but quite few. How to know if they are
quite few due to Debian or due to the fact that there is no packaging
system on.

I would personnaly love that. I can bring some testing on release
candidates.