[ros-users] ROS 2.0 transports

Esteve Fernandez esteve at apache.org
Thu May 23 13:40:43 UTC 2013

Hi Jack,

2013/5/22 Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Esteve Fernandez <esteve at apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> there doesn't seem to be a SIG for ROS comm protocols and APIs, so I'm
>> writing here anyway :-)
>

> There is a ros-sig-ng-ros mailing list. There was some good discussion, but
> it has not been very active, lately:
>
>  https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/ros-sig-ng-ros
>
> I am cross-posting there to archive your message.

Thanks, I couldn't find it on the SIGs page:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/sig

> There has been some discussion of using zeromq as a possible low-level
> transport framework. It may solve some, but not all, problems with the
> current TCP implementation. I've looked at it and been impressed, but
> lacking hands-on experience, would not want to make any strong
> recommendation.

I've used both AMQP and ZeroMQ (haven't test the Crossroads IO fork
yet), and I tend to like AMQP more because of the huge community and
because it provides a complete messaging stack, not just the
point-to-point libraries. For example, an AMQP broker (such as
RabbitMQ) could be used as a replacement for ROS Master for
discovering ROS nodes. In any case, we'd still need a way to serialize
messages and RPC and I think Thrift could be of use in that case.

Cheers.