[ros-users] Ros Roadmap Information

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 23:38:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Daniel Stonier <d.stonier at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 November 2013 14:43, Dirk Thomas <dthomas at osrfoundation.org> wrote:
>
>> On 11.11.2013 19:07, Daniel Stonier wrote:
>>

>>> On 12 November 2013 06:41, Dirk Thomas <dthomas at osrfoundation.org<mailto:
>>> dthomas at osrfoundation.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     The wiki page was simply pretty outdated.
>>>     I have updated the ROS/Roadmap wiki page with current information:
>>>     http://wiki.ros.org/ROS/__Roadmap <http://wiki.ros.org/ROS/Roadmap>
>>>

>>>     Please feel free to discuss any further information which would be
>>> useful on that page.
>>>

> Ok, perhaps some better wording is needed.
>

>> I don't understand what that sentence is supposed to mean:
>>     "Hydro and Indigo will be staggered across Quantal, Raring and Saucy"
>> Can you please clarify, Daniel?
>>

> "Hydro and Indigo will be staggered across Quantal, Raring and Saucy" -
> just a reflection of the graph above illustrating hydro/quantal,
> hydro/raring, indigo/saucy.
>

>> Regarding the "planning your development" section:
>> if we do release Indigo as a kind of LTS version of ROS I would strongly
>> disagree to first-time release any disruptive changes into that version and
>> than aim for stabilizing them later...
>>

> Note: I didn't intend with the statement on the wiki page to infer a first
> time release on Indigo/Trusty. First time release would be on Indigo/Saucy
> as a beta release.
>
> I thought I had heard Tully talking similar to what I outlined there. It
> certainly is the way we are planning to move over the next year or so. If
> it's not a general consensus, then certainly lets remove it. To clarify, we
> need to look at targeting some fairly major release points with disruptive
> changes. These disruptive changes have to go in somewhere, so for us, the
> best approach would seem to be:
>
>    - Develop on sources
>    - Beta release debs on Indigo/Saucy - this is a short term release, so
>    edge users only who are great for feedback.
>    - Officially release debs on Indigo/LTS Trusty - we've acommodated
>    many bugfixes hopefully and at this point we'd point our software on our
>    more official platforms. This though, is where most new users would see the
>    software.
>    - Avoid any further disruptive changes on J-Turtle/LTS Trusty - gives
>    the software and users time to enjoy and stabilise.
>
> Catkin went through a fairly similar process - it was beta released in
> fuerte (which would be like an early groovy with the longer timespans now),
> officially released in groovy on precise, and then hydro saw it really
> settle in. Having groovy/hydro on precise, gave a fairly constant
> environment to see that through.
>
> Of course, this isn't a must do, but is this a recommendation that folks
> agree with and think would be useful?

Yes.

Disruptive changes are always problematic. But, we need to spend more
effort planning for smoother transitions.

With releases coming farther apart, I expect them all to create noticeable
disruption. To deal with that, I'd like the build farm to start generating
Indigo packages soon. We can release the plethora of Python 3 fixes there,
leaving Hydro stable. The long beta cycle will give actively supported
packages an opportunity to deal with the changes.

+1 to updating REP-0003 for Indigo.
--
 joq