[ros-users] Software Status Reporting and Custom Builds

Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian adolfo.rodriguez at pal-robotics.com
Mon Sep 2 16:05:21 UTC 2013

> On 31.08.2013 04:39, Edwards, Shaun M. wrote:****
>
> All,****
>
>  ****
>
> We have received feedback from the users of ROS-Industrial on two issues
> that I think are important to the larger community.  We have taken
> preliminary steps to address these issues, but in no way would we consider
> these the correct or permanent solutions.  It is for this reason, I am
> address the ROS user’s group to solicit feedback and discussion about these
> two issues:****
>
>  ****
>
> **1.       **Stack/Meta-Package/Package Status – Many people have
> commented that it is hard to know the true status of a package (whether the
> code is complete or in development).  The existence of a wiki is not an
> indicator, as several packages in ROS (including some of our own) are
> released early (i.e. agile development).  For this reason we have started
> identifying the status of a package on our wiki pages (see:
> http://ros.org/wiki/Industrial/Software_Status ).  Here is an example of
> a stack/meta-package that has been marked with its current status:
> http://ros.org/wiki/industrial_core .  This is only a start to what I
> think needs to be done, but it solves and urgent need for us and all the
> developers that are using our software.  I would like to see this status or
> something similar used by the larger community (what to you guys think).**
> **
>
> **2.       **Code quality/testing/metrics – Several users have asked for
> this type of information about our packages.  This is one of the (not the
> only) reasons we set up a Jenkins server specifically for ROS-Industrial
> (see
> http://rosindustrial.org/news/2013/8/13/jenkins-system-for-ros-industrial-repositories).  The ROS community already utilizes Jenkins servers for continuous
> integration and debain builds, but code metrics are missing (even some as
> simple as how many compiler warnings are generated).  We would like to see
> this kind of data rolled into official ROS Jenkins servers.  Is this a need
> for those in the large community?****

My 2 cents,

>From a user perspective, I'm mostly interested in these qualities:
- Good and stable API
- Well tested
- Well documented
- Actively maintained. Not necessarily actively developed.

Except testing metrics like coverage, most of the above qualities are
already accessible through the ROS wiki.

I usually also check how many downstream projects/packages depend on the
project of interest, as this correlates well to some of the above points.

>From a developer perspective, code quality metrics like the work of
Johannes Kuehn make more sense.

One might argue that good code metrics should also bias user choices, as a
project with poor code metrics might be difficult to move forwards.
However, projects with good APIs, documentation, testing and a sizable user
base will have enough traction to overcome parts of it with a poor
implementation (and are probably less likely to have bad code metrics to
start with).

Concerning Shaun's proposal, I'd move "The software has some level of
unit-testing or has been used on production level code in the past" from
production to development, and make the production statement much more
strict, reading something like "The software has a comprehensive test suite
and documentation, and is being used in production-level code."

Best,

Adolfo.

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 7:29 PM, Edwards, Shaun M. <sedwards at swri.org> wrote:

>  Thibault,****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks for the feedback.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> I agree a status label does not communicate everything, but it does
> communicate the first bit of information which is what the
> developer/maintainer thinks the code quality is.  If the
> developer/maintainer has labeled their own code <production quality, then
> any user would quickly decide not to use it for their production system.
> Of course if they have labeled it “production quality”, then the user still
> has a lot of work to do (as you point out).****
>
> ** **
>
> As for metrics I can tell you after a year and a half of trying to sell
> ROS the industrial community, these will help.  If for no other reasons,
> metrics will help potential users weed out the obvious bad packages.  A key
> metric that I haven’t seen anywhere (even in Tully’s example) is unit test
> coverage.  This will soon be added to the ROS-Industrial Jenkins toolkit
> and in my opinion is very helpful in understanding the quality of a
> particular piece of software.  I do agree that we should follow the lead of
> other open source projects, like the ones you reference.****
>
> ** **
>
> Finally, I would like to point out that we need a solution to at least
> some of these issues sooner rather than later.  My goal in sending out this
> email was to gage community interest.  My hope is that we can come up with
> an incremental plan that solves problems sooner rather than later.  I would
> not support an approach that attempts to create an entire solution up
> front.  Such a large project would not be easily supported by volunteers
> and even if it had funding would take too long to complete.****
>
> ** **
>
> Shaun Edwards****
>
> Senior Research Engineer****
>
> Manufacturing System Department****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> http://robotics.swri.org****
>
> http://rosindustrial.swri.org/****
>
> http://ros.swri.org****
>
> Join the ROS-Industrial Developers List<https://groups.google.com/group/swri-ros-pkg-dev/boxsubscribe>
> ****
>
> Southwest Research Institute****
>
> 210-522-3277****
>
> ** **

Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian
Senior robotics engineer
adolfo.rodriguez at pal-robotics.com
http://www.pal-robotics.com

PAL ROBOTICS S.L
c/ Pujades 77-79, 4º4ª
08005 Barcelona, Spain.
Tel. +34.93.414.53.47
Fax.+34.93.209.11.09
Skype: adolfo.pal-robotics
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/palrobotics1> -
Twitter<http://twitter.com/#%21/palrobotics>- PAL
Robotics YouTube Channel <http://www.youtube.com/user/PALRobotics>

AVISO DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD: Este mensaje y sus documentos adjuntos, pueden
contener información privilegiada y/o confidencial que está dirigida
exclusivamente a su destinatario. Si usted recibe este mensaje y no es el
destinatario indicado, o el empleado encargado de su entrega a dicha
persona, por favor, notifíquelo inmediatamente y remita el mensaje original
a la dirección de correo electrónico indicada. Cualquier copia, uso o
distribución no autorizados de esta comunicación queda estrictamente
prohibida.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and the accompanying document(s) may
contain confidential information which is privileged and intended only for
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the
distribution or use of this e-mail and/or accompanying document(s) is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify the sender at the above e-mail address.