[ros-users] How Many Robots use ROS Navigation?

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Fri Sep 6 18:26:42 UTC 2013

I think we are overloading the term "navigation", in some circles it means
planning to navigate a space, in others it means "navigation filter", as in
an estimator.

David is referring to the navigation stack which does not deal with state
estimation or localization per se, but instead makes and executes plans
based on state information, external sensor data (exteroception), and a
given goal.

Kyle, I think you are referring to the navigation filter where you take
multiple sources of proprioceptive data and filter them for a better state
estimate. This is more in line with what the `robot_pose_ekf` and related
packages do.

Just thought I'd point that out.

--

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Kyle Kauffman <kyle.j.kauffman at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm glad to hear there is some interest and work going on with the ROS
> navigation components. We decided to build our own internal nav package due
> to a few things not being available at the time we looked:
>
> 1) Flexibility in bringing in measurements in different ways (loose
> integration, tightly coupled,...). For example, camera measurements can be
> brought in to a filter via PnP, raw non-linear angle measurements, as a
> velocity update (odometry), and so forth, each with their own advantages.
> We wanted a way to generically specify the sensors and then have the filter
> bring the measurements in via a configurable option.
>
> 2) Easy plug-and-play sensor swapping. For example, being able to add in
> an inertial to an already existing lidar/camera navigation filter and have
> the filter automatically convert itself to an error-state model with
> respect to the inertial; ideally, without having to change any filter code
> (only bring a new ROS sensor node online).
>
> 3) The ability to apply to quadrotors and other 6dof applications.
>
> 4) Capability to swap filter implementations, such as particle filters and
> GPU computation backends.
>
> I'm hopeful in the future we'll be able to release our nav package. At
> that point I'd love to see what could be integrated into the ROS nav stack
> as it progresses as well.
>
> Regards,
> Kyle J. Kauffman
>

> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM, David Lu!! <davidvlu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> As many people know, I've been working on improvements to the ROS
>> Navigation Stack. In order to maintain maximum compatibility (and for
>> my own curiosity), I want to find out how many robots are using the
>> ROS Navigation stack. I've set up a wiki page here for people to add
>> their own robots to.
>> http://wiki.ros.org/navigation/RobotsUsingNavStack
>>
>> (Feel free to add to the list even if your robot's navigation
>> configuration is not public)
>>
>> Consequently, if you are using navigation on your robot and not using
>> ROS Navigation, I'd be curious to hear why.
>>

>> Happy roboting,
>> -David!!

William Woodall
ROS Development Team