[ros-users] code.ros.org and kforge.ros.org

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Fri Sep 6 23:09:34 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,

After many years of generous hosting at Willow Garage, we have been working
hard on migrating ros.org websites to new hosting. Many of the services
have already been migrated, such as the mailing lists, wiki, buildfarm, API
documentation, planet, and roscon websites. We have one major site left to
be transferred, packages.ros.org, but hope to be able to transfer that
without any downtime with proper preparation.

Unfortunately we do not have the time or resources to migrate and continue
to maintain code.ros.org and kforge.ros.org.  These websites will continue
to be available for an unknown duration. (We have made full backups of the
servers as of today, however accessing the data in the backups will be
offline and manual.)   I highly recommend that you migrate any code or
tickets off of those servers to which you want continued access.  The core
ROS packages have already migrated to GitHub due to the much easier
collaboration environment.  Since January hosting on GitHub has been our
recommendation: http://wiki.ros.org/RecommendedRepositoryUsage  BitBucket
is also a popular alternative.

We have also put together a few pointers for how to migrate data:
http://wiki.ros.org/RecommendedRepositoryUsage/MigrationHelp

If you have technical questions or need help migrating anything please
followup on ros-release at code.ros.org.

Tully