[ros-users] Software Status Reporting and Custom Builds

Dejan Pangercic dejan.pangercic at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 00:12:10 UTC 2013

> Selling ROS (even for free) to a company is a marketing problem, it is about
> maintaining a community, a pretty website and advertising, finding reference
> customers speaking up for the product, and so on.
Thibault this is unfortunately very wrong. Selling ROS is right now
rather a technical problem. Say you have
$10 available for your micro-controller. And that one has to be
certified, has to support some sort of encryption to protect IP, etc.
So you end up with the chip like this:
http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc6462.pdf, note 266MHz. Now you go, put
ROS on it and have it run drivers, task-executive, perception,
planning and control software.
Having metrics like this will not help us with getting ROS to scale to
something like this but it will help us convince the industry that
coding standards used in ROS are solid and would give us the code that
would run on somewhat more powerful processor(s) - which industry
would not have hard time to spend more money on.

Also, we do not want to force anyone to use the metrics but it is for
now the only way to (quickly) asses the quality of the code,
especially if it has been orphaned due to the lack of human resource.

D.