[ros-users] ROS Users of the World - Collaborative Map Part II

David Lu!! davidvlu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 18:11:16 UTC 2014

https://github.com/DLu/ros_map/issues/6
Yay first feature request!

geojson looks nice. The syntax is no worse than KML, which this solution is
based on. The current map can also be embedded, and auto updates as the
repo updates (JHU moved back to Baltimore as soon as I accepted the pull
request). While visualizing the forks and branches would be nice, I don't
anticipate many versions of the repo existing, or the need for individuals
to make too many massive changes.

It would be nice for a tool that allowed for editing in variety of ways,
but that would take a bit more development. As it stands, I think the
current solution is the easiest to edit for the largest portion of the
userbase.

-David!!

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Tully Foote <tfoote at osrfoundation.org>
wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to put this together. If we're going to do this
> I'd suggest using geojson for which github will auto render and provides
> embeddable maps which auto update and you can preview your forks and
> branches.
>
> I've done this for TurtleBots: https://github.com/turtlebot/map The
> README shows how to both edit and embed that map.
>
> Although the geojson is harder to edit there's an online tool at
> geojson.io which can help with that:
> http://geojson.io/#id=github:turtlebot/map/blob/master/Distributors.geojson
>
> Tully
>

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Jonathan Bohren <
> jonathan.bohren at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think there's a problem with entries that have a "description"
>> attribute. JHU is in the yaml file, but not on the map.
>>
>> -j
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 1:09 PM, David Lu!! <davidvlu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  The original ROS user map [1][2] worked well initially, but succumbed
>>> to a bit of vandalism. As it turns out, University of Arizona is not off
>>> the shore of Puerto Rico. I have engineered a new solution with tools ROS
>>> users are more familiar with, which you can view here:
>>>
>>> http://metrorobots.com/rosmap.html
>>>
>>> The map is generated from code and data in a open source repository[3].
>>> The map is far from complete. I cleaned up some of the data, but had to
>>> work with the information I had at hand. I encourage *all* members of the
>>> community to add/edit their location on the map. Requests for features,
>>> additional information, pull requests should all be handled in the normal
>>> githubby way.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> David!!
>>>
>>> P.S. Have you updated the map yet?