[ros-users] ROS & DDS

Daniele Calisi daniele.calisi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 10:25:46 UTC 2014

I agree with Christian Schlegel on the following points:
- Configuring DDS is very complex and the effort makes sense only for big
projects. I personally have an experience with DDS used in robotics and it
has often be a pain to configure everything in such a way that it works as
expected. If you are not a DDS expert, you can easily have configurations
that perform worse than using whatever middleware.
- Let's write an abstraction layer, this is the best solution, because we
are not sure how ROS middleware can perform with respect to DDS for
specific robotic applications (and I see using ROS middleware much more
simple for those who are just beginning with robotics, e.g., students).
Moreover, we are not sure about what the future has to offer, what if we
discover that a new-born middleware is better than everything for robotics
and embedded systems? I personally did this for our framework OpenRDK (
http://openrdk.sf.net), and, although the abstraction was not complete and
sometimes requires some hacks, I was able to use OpenRDK own middleware,
ROS middleware, DDS or even KDE D-Bus or HTTP, depending on the application.

Daniele "MadMage" Calisi
*"Your limit is always a bit beyond"*