[ros-users] ROS & DDS

Brian Gerkey gerkey at osrfoundation.org
Sun Feb 16 18:47:54 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Ingo Lütkebohle <iluetkeb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Moreover, I would like to mention one thing that is routinely
> forgotten by people working with high-end middleware: Installation is
> often not trivial at all! Many of the DDS packages mentioned here are
> not available as part of a standard Linux distribution, and supporting
> them through packages might have licensing issues. For example, the
> OpenSplice Community Edition is LGPL, not BSD.

Packaging and installation is certainly an issue.  But, I have to say,
if there's one thing that we know a hell of a lot about (for better
and for worse), it's packaging and distributing software, including
software that's difficult to package and distribute.  For example,
before even trying to seriously experiment with OpenSplice, we're
packaging it; here's a first cut at a binary .deb (for 64-bit
Precise):
  http://build.osrfoundation.org/view/debbuild/job/opensplice-debbuilder/24/

The license question is also important, but LGPL is perfectly
acceptable.  If somebody tells you that using an LGPL-licensed library
is a problem, you should ask that person whether he or she uses glibc.

Btw, OpenDDS is released under what I read as effectively a BSD
license (though they have annoyingly written their own terms):
  http://www.opendds.org/license.html

brian.