[ros-users] ros-users Digest, Vol 48, Issue 9

Christian Schlegel schlegel at hs-ulm.de
Tue Feb 18 21:45:31 UTC 2014

Dear all,

sorry for another email, hopefully not too lenghty...

in order to avoid confusion I refer to services as in the sense of
service-oriented architectures (and not in sense of a ROS service). To
make that more concrete, let me include the API of the SmartSoft
communication patterns as you see it from inside a component as a
component builder.

The first example is a "query". The client side exposes synchronous as
well as asynchronous access methods and you do not have to care about
multithreaded access, mixture of concurrent synchronous and asynchronous
access etc.. The server side just forwards each incoming request to any
processing by the handler upcall and you provide the return answer via
the "answer" method.

The next example is a publish / subscribe pattern. A client subscribes
to get newest updates and either check for them, wait for the next one
etc. The server side just pushes in updates via the "put" method.

In general, we have a few more patterns in order to make live for
robotics people as easy as possible but basically, you need a request /
response and a publish / subscribe pattern. We provide:

communication:
- send           just oneway
- query          request / response
- push newest    update all subscribed clients as soon as new data is
available at the server
- push timed     provide periodic updates to subscribed clients

coordination:
- event          inform as soon as a server side predicate became true
- wiring         allow for dynamic rewiring of components during runtime
- state          manage the life-cycle of a component (activate,
deactivate, shutdown, error, ...)
- parameter      parameterize a component from outside at run-time
- monitoring     diagnostic port

Inside these patterns, you run a protocol that is not visible to the
robotics component builder. It is based on messages and these form the
stable interface to the underlying middleware. You "just" have to map
that protocol onto whatever middleware you are interested in. Just a
snapshot of parts of the internal protocol:

Now what would be interesting?
- discuss such communication patterns for robotics
- define them (their semantics) independently of the underlying middleware
- although there is already work available here:
     - how to present QoS at the API of the patterns?
     - how to map QoS onto middleware if it provides QoS support?
     - ...

--
Prof. Dr. Christian Schlegel
Prodekan, Studiendekan Master IS