[ros-users] ROS usability

Michael Fritscher michael.fritscher at telematik-zentrum.de
Thu Feb 20 18:32:27 UTC 2014

> On 20.02.2014 05:06, Michael Fritscher wrote:
>>
>> Another problem is in my oppinion the library-hell problem. ROS packages
>> are tightly tied with specific library version (e.g. libboost) which
>> (roughly) exists only on one specific distro-version. This
>> makes it almost inpossible to use binary versions of ros on another
>> distros. Perhaps this can be solved that the binary packages depend on
>> e.g. "libboost-1.42 | roslibboost-groovy" - so either the
>> distro-version or a ros-own version can be used.
>
> @Michael Fritscher
>
> Afaik boost does neither guarantee ABI nor API compatibility for (minor)
> releases.
> Therefore asking for that "feature" for ROS is just unrealistic and your
> proposed way of an alternate Debian dependency is just not going to work.
Why does the way of an alternate dependency not work? ;) In my proposed
way either the distros version of libboost, if it fits, or a own-built
version from ros will be used. We could completely get rid of the distros
version and always use our own version of boost, if that is easier ;)

Best regards,
Michael Fritscher