[ros-users] ROS & DDS

Ken Conley kwc at kwc.org
Fri Feb 21 00:31:52 UTC 2014

This has been an interesting discussion to follow. Sorry to chime in
late (I'm lacking time to write e-mails), but some quick thoughts:

A single middleware solution was good for ROS in the early days, as it
kept things simple, and thus more usable. As ROS scales to more use
cases, that same simplicity potentially hurts usability, because the
homogeneity lacks the structure to simplify configuration. Also, more
structure would also create a more clear robot stacks, where each
stack may require different architectures (e.g., how the navigation
stack and the PR2 ethercat driver each have custom plugin
architectures).

So, in a discussion of DDS and otherwise, is it possibly the case that
issues of backwards compatibility/etc... can be side-stepped by
looking at specific use cases (e.g., multi-robot, offboard
monitoring), and building more specific architectures/libraries/tools
around those (at the risk of losing homogeneity)? If these solutions
are successful, they can be expanded to other areas.

This is similar to past discussions like:

 * tf and the transform tree (i.e., avoid distributed topics, and
instead have a shared memory protocol or similar)
 * integrating video streaming protocols

 - Ken