[ros-users] Primesense cameras no longer available?

Michael Zillich zillich at acin.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jan 22 09:01:07 UTC 2014

We have the same problem, and have been exploring alternatives (we need
sensors now, not in summer ..)

We did initial successful tests with the Argos P100:
   http://www.bluetechnix.com/rainbow2006/site/520/Default.aspx
It is (like the new kinect) a time of flight sensor. So has quite good
robustness to adverse lighting conditions.
Also has a range from like 1 cm (!) to several meters. And, just in case
you need it, can do 160 fps. (it then does get quite hot though, as the
illuminating LEDs require more power - at 30 fps it just gets a bit warm)
It also is a lot smaller then the new kinect will be, so should easily
fit onto your pan/tilt unit or wherever.

On the down side it currently only does 160x120, as opposed to the
320x240 which the old kinect did. And is a bit noisier than then kinect,
though I think we did not yet fully explore the various parameters for
filtering etc.
And it is a depth only camera, so you will have to use (and calibrate)
an additional color camera to get RGBD. But that too can be done
relatively easy.

And, of course, there is a ROS driver for it, which worked fine for us.
   https://github.com/voxel-dot-at/argos3d_p100_ros_pkg

cheers,
Michael