[ros-users] Answers.ros.org Spam

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Tue Jul 1 19:49:06 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone,

As many of you have noticed answers.ros.org has been subject to a lot of
spam recently. We have been working on adding technical issues, however the
spammers have been able to overcome standard defenses like CAPTCHAs which
we have added. I'm putting out this call to request a few more moderators
for the site. Answers.ros.org is powered by the community and has been well
maintained by the several moderators who were initially volunteered several
years ago.

In light of the persistent spamming by technically savvy spammers, our best
defense is to leverage our strong community. We have a very active site and
if each person helps just a little the spam can dissapear very quickly.

To everyone, please use the "flag offensive" for any spam you encounter,
whether it's in a question or an answer. This will bring it to the
attention of the moderators who can block users. If you have enough karma
you can also delete the post, however please flag it first so that the
moderators can block the user as well.

We've recently expanded the pool of moderators however I'd like to expand
the pool of moderators to include a few more people from various timezones
who have demonstrated contributions to the site(>500 Karma). If you are
interested in becoming a moderator please contact me off list.

Tully