[ros-users] Indigo buildfarm ready for releases

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:45:32 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Jochen Sprickerhof <
ros-users at jochen.sprickerhof.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> * Tully Foote <tfoote at osrfoundation.org> [2014-03-24 20:58]:
> > We're pleased to announce the ROS build farm for Indigo Igloo is now
> > available.  It includes over 180 packages already for Ubuntu 13.10, Saucy
> > Salamander, and Ubuntu 14.04, Trusty Tahr. We expect that number to
> > continue to grow rapidly. Installation instructions already exist for
> > Ubuntu using debians or for compiling from source [1], and you can see
> the
> > status of Indigo packages on this page:
>
> Do you plan to support Indigo on older Ubuntu versions (like 13.04 or
> 12.04) as well? Point is, that the normal migration tactic is to have
> both ROS versions installed and switch them to the new version one ofter
> the other. At the moment this wouldn't be possible, as Hydro is only
> available until 13.04 (cf. [1]), whereas Indigo starts with 13.10.
> Initially the plan was to support Hydro on 13.10 (see [2]), but maybe it
> would be easier to support Indigo on an older version.
>
> Having multiple versions installed was always a selling point for ROS
> (given that it's so monolithic), so I think we should really work on
> providing upgrade paths to our users.
>
> Cheers Jochen
>
> [1] http://lists.ros.org/pipermail/ros-users/2014-January/068162.html
> [2] http://lists.ros.org/pipermail/ros-users/2013-May/053252.html

+1 I fully agree: this zero-overlap plan will drastically delay adoption of
Indigo.

For example, the UTexas CS department will not be upgrading their student
computer labs to Trusty until August. They will remain on Precise until
then, so the Robotics lab will continue using Hydro on Precise. So, no
substantial work with Indigo will happen before the fall session. At that
point I don't know what will happen; with no concurrent platform for Indigo
migration, we may be looking at a train wreck.

We never had to cope with that sort of abrupt discontinuity in previous ROS
distros.
--
 joq