[ros-users] Indigo buildfarm ready for releases

Jon Binney jon.binney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 23:36:14 UTC 2014

> As has already been identified in this thread, building Hydro from
> source on other systems (Ubuntu Saucy, Ubuntu Trusty) currently works
> quite smoothly, with the caveat being the ~30 minute build time for
> Hydro-desktop, which is of course dependent on one's internet
> bandwidth and system performance.

If it builds from source on other platforms, would there still be
significant developer effort to create debs? Or do you mean that only the
core packages in hydro build from source on Saucy/Trusty?

The ideal situation from a developer point of view would be if there were
indigo debs for ubuntu precise. This would allow people who are running
hydro/precise to update their own packages so that they work with indigo,
and then to install ubuntu trusty on their machines. It would be
essentially the same as when we switched from electric to fuerte - fuerte
had debs on lucid, but also had debs for precise.

That being said, I understand that it's a huge effort to support extra
distributions, so this may not be practical.

-Jon