[ros-users] Indigo buildfarm ready for releases

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 16:13:32 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Jose Luis Rivero <jrivero at osrfoundation.org
> wrote:

> On 03/31/2014 03:16 AM, William Woodall wrote:
> > Thanks Jon!
> >
> > I appreciate you taking the time to put the chroot option together.
> >
> > What is the general consensus now that this chroot tutorial is
> > available? Is this sufficiently functional to let maintainers test their
> > upcoming changes for Indigo on their Precise machines?
> >

> Gazebo, or any other software that needs DRI enabled, can be run from a
> chroot, but the chroot should have exactly the same versions in the X
> stack in order to have a proper DRI support.
>
> For example, if you are using a Precise system and setup a Trusty
> chroot, both using Ubuntu packages, based on my experience, DRI won't work.

That is a good point, and we should mention it in Jon's chroot tutorial.

I ported some of my low-level packages using the chroot approach already,
so it is clearly helpful and useful.

But, given the X server issues, I doubt that our UTexas research robot
packages can be ported that way. Those packages use Gazebo, rviz and rqt
heavily.
--
 joq