[ros-users] Announcing ROS support for LazeeEye

Heuristic Labs heurlabs at heuristiclabs.com
Mon May 5 15:01:10 UTC 2014

Hi, just wanted to affirm that ROS drivers will be made available for
LazeeEye, including image capture through rosjava (if on Android). We'll
make every attempt possible to match existing conventions for the RGB-D
processing pipeline, so as to seamlessly replace your legacy Kinects and
Xtions : )

Also wanted to mention hardware support for LazeePi (LazeeEye on a
Raspberry Pi), and its camera module.

See details in full project update at: http://kck.st/1mv2e3Y

Thanks in advance for your support!

Heuristic Labs

PS - Martin, regarding your lawsuit concerns... we have protected IP that
is distinct from PrimeSense's particular instantiation of structured light
stereo, which is a widely used technique in industrial manufacturing and
covers many makes and models. In particular, LazeeEye is unique insofar as
it modulates both spatially and temporally the transmitted light, and in so
doing can be attached to *any* camera as a distinct module... enabling, for
example, its disruptive price point for the mobile 3D sensing market. But
thanks for looking out for us : )

Greetings fellow ROS users!

I'm writing to make you aware of an exciting new Kickstarter project, the
"LazeeEye": http://kck.st/1gVCcrB

LazeeEye takes your existing smartphone and turns it into a depth camera
using laser illuminator hardware and a stereo vision processing app.

The goal is to produce hardware and software that can bring 3D perception
to devices that have low-power/low-weight processing and a high-resolution,
such as what you would find in your smartphone.

You as a ROS user can be particularly excited about using your existing
smartphone in robotics applications. In fact, the inspiration for the
LazeeEye was for lightweight aerial robots, where we were constrained by
the redundancy, inefficiency, cost, and lack of portability of existing 3D
sensors.

For more information, or to consider supporting the project, please check
out the Kickstarter page: http://kck.st/1gVCcrB, and don't hesitate to
spread the word!

Thanks,

Michael Carroll