[ros-users] Cross Compiling for NAO Robots - New GitHub Repo

Stephan Opfer opfer at vs.uni-kassel.de
Thu Nov 20 08:47:41 UTC 2014

Hi Community,

I tried to bring our ROS packages to the NAO Robots. According to the ROS NAO special interest group, the best practise to compile your own packages for the NAO architecture, is to do it within an virtual machine, which has the same setup/architecture as the NAO Robot itself.

There also exists a nice tutorial for installing ROS on that virtual machine: http://wiki.ros.org/nao/Installation/compileFromVirtualNao

So the usual workflow is:

1) develop your package on your development pc
2) copy the source to the VM
3) compile it there
4) copy the binaries to your NAO Robot

But what I like it would be is:

1) develop and compile within my eclipse CDT environment
2) copy the binaries to your NAO Robot

Therefore, I need to cross compile my ROS packages for the NAO architecture. Unfortunately, I am a real novice in cross compiling. I followed the advice of Vincent Rabaud to create a new github repo, in order to let the community help with this issue. The repo provides a simple test package (nao_talker) and a README with the steps I already achieved/figured out so far. The current issues I have are documented as issue on the repository.

So the repository is here: https://github.com/carpenoctemcassel/nao_ros_cross_compile

The corresponding discussion is here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ros-sig-aldebaran/9XZU8j7wQpU/q_2hEsqn5HIJ

Please help me to make the NAO Robot easier to use for the ROS community.

Greetings,
   Stephan
--
Distributed Systems Research Group
Stephan Opfer  T. +49 561 804-6283  F. +49 561 804-6277