[ros-users] Request for comments on REP 143 (refinement of REP 141)

Dirk Thomas dthomas at osrfoundation.org
Sat Nov 29 19:31:36 UTC 2014

During the Indigo release cycle we have rolled out REP 141 for specifying
the ROS distribution files.

We are currently in the process of developing a ROS buildfarm which can
easily be used to run a custom (optionally private) buildfarm [1][2] as
well as make jobs reproducible locally.
After having deployed separate test buildfarms we are convinced that
bundling the ROS distriubtion files as well as the buildfarm configuration
is not flexible enough.

Therefore we separated the buildfarm configuration [3] from the rosdistro
repository (and enhanced it with several new options).

The REP 143 describes the changes being made to the ROS distribution files:

- remove all build files from the REP, they are now being handled
externally, no existing client except the buildfarm uses these information
anyway
- allow multiple distribution files for a single ROS distro (to make
extending it easier)
- introduced more flags to control for which source repositories CI jobs
should be generated

Please find the latest draft of the document at:
https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rep/pull/87

We have already updated the reference implementation on a branch (
https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rosdistro/pull/45) and verified that
the existing tools still work with it.

If you are interested in this REP please have a close look and vote or
comment on the pull request:
https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rep/pull/87

Thank you,
- Dirk