[ros-users] Phobos: 3D robot modelling with Blender

Kai von Szadkowski kai.von-szadkowski at uni-bremen.de
Tue Oct 14 14:12:51 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm working with the University of Bremen and the German Research Center
for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI). We've recently decided to switch
from our own data format to using URDF for the kinematic descriptions of
our robots.

We already used the 3D modelling software Blender to create our models,
exporting them using a bunch of python scripts as we didn't fancy
creating models by hand. Building on these scripts, we have started to
develop a full-blown add-on for Blender designed for simplifying robot
model editing. It's called 'Phobos' and can be found on GitHub:
https://github.com/rock-simulation/phobos

I haven't been able to track down anything comparable in the ROS and
Gazebo world and figured this might be interesting for some people here.
There's an overview in the README file on github and already some
documentation explaining the overall concepts and how to get started.
We're certainly far from delivering a bug-free "consumer product", but
if somebody is interested and finds the time to take a glance, we're
very happy for any feedback.

Cheers,

Kai

--