[ros-users] Interest and proposal intention survey for a ROS Handbook

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Wed Oct 22 17:29:55 UTC 2014

Hi Anis,

I'm not sure how to express this through your form, but something that's
badly needed from Clearpath's perspective is a modern take on what the
parts are which make up a typical ROS robot. This is beyond the "basics" of
building a workspace, creating publishers and subscribers, launching
things, etc, but it's not as high-level as specific packages like
navigation, moveit, etc.

Obviously there's a lot of variability out there, but if someone were to
build a robot today, from scratch, to use ROS, they'd ask some fundamental
questions like:

   - How do I build a URDF for my robot? How do I name the links and
   joints? Should I have a base_footprint? Should I use xacro?
   - What's the deal with robot_state_publisher, and what's the
   relationship between the joint_states topic and my TF tree?
   - Where do the odom and map frames come from? Should I always expect
   them to be there, or do they come and go depending what's running? How do I
   handle REP-105 if my robot has a GPS receiver? What about if it has an
   integrated GPS-INS?
   - Now that I have a URDF, how do I bring my robot up in Gazebo? How do I
   give my simulated robot an IMU, LIDAR, and camera?
   - How does my robot know where it is? What is localization, and what
   topics are consumed and produced by it?
   - For a "typical" encoders + imu + LIDAR configuration, what topics
   should I expect to see, where, and on what frequencies?
   - How do I set up my robot to use ros_control and the existing suite of
   available controllers? Should I have a real-time control loop? If so, how
   do I set that up in Ubuntu?
   - How should I set up ROS to launch automatically when I turn on my
   robot? How do I manage logs, node output, and bag files?

There's been discussion in the past about specifying some standards for
this kind of thing, possibly in a REP, but a great first step would be a
book or other resource which presented this material in an approachable,
linear kind of way.

Mike