[ros-users] Will a ROS package for Bloom filters be useful?

Yanzhen Wang yanzhenwang at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 15 09:27:40 UTC 2014

Hi there,
We had implemented several types of Bloom filters in java. A Bloom filter is a space-efficient probabilistic data structure, which is used to test whether an element is a member of a set. It is very useful for applications where the amount of source data is extremely large and conventional hashing techniques become impractical. For more information, please refer to the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_filter.
The Bloom filters we implemented include the basic Bloom filter, counting Bloom filter, and dynamic Bloom filter. In a basic Bloom filter, elements can be added but not removed. In the two extensions (counting and dynamic) Bloom filter, element can be removed. Bloom filters are very useful for applications like content synchronization.
We are in the position of wrapping the Bloom filters up as a ROS package, but we think it's better to know whether it is of any interest in the ROS (or more generally, robotics) community in the first place.
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,Yanzhen