[ros-users] Combine robot_state_publisher with tf::TransformListener?

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Wed Sep 17 13:39:30 UTC 2014

In a complex system, you're likely to have multiple nodes producing joint
info, and multiple nodes consuming TF, so it makes sense to have a central
clearinghouse for that info to avoid everything subscribing to everything.
It's also a logical abstraction to have hardware deal in joints, and
higher-level code deal in transforms.

Three further thoughts on this—

- First, robot_state_publisher is embeddable as a library, so if you don't
like the separate process and serialization overhead, you could consider
compiling it directly into whatever hardware node you have primarily
producing joint information.
- Along the same lines, there's already a joint_state_controller which
publishes joint_states from the ros_control framework. It's not hard to
imagine that it could optionally also publish tf, eliminating the need for
a separate node doing this job.
- Finally, with ROS 2.0 offering the option to run all your nodes in a
single process as a launch-time decision, much of the overhead here becomes
an optional switch you can throw— if the abstraction costs nothing, it
makes that much more sense to have it in place.