[ros-users] Debian packages facilitating installation of linux-rt kernel

Yanzhen Wang yanzhenwang at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 21 15:03:33 UTC 2014

Hi Dorian,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

1) We already removed the restriction, so that you can download the packages without login.

2) We simply packaged the realtime kernel files, so that you can install the realtime kernels without manual downloading, compling and installation, simply using one line of dpkg commands.

3) Linux kernel 3.8.0 and preempt_rt patch 3.8.13-rt16 are used to generate the packages. They are kept intact. Some configurations were performed after the patching. We totally agree that it’s important to make the source availible, and we will do it very soon, after some necessary tests and optimizations.

4) Currently, only on Ubuntu 12.04, though we think the packages should also work for later versions.

Best regards,

Yanzhen

On 2014-09-18 18:15, Dorian Scholz wrote:

>Hi Yanzhen,
>
>thanks for your work.
>This would indeed be interesting, as I'm still using a quite old
>3.2.0-rt Debian kernel.
>
>But there is some information missing about the packages you provide:
>
>1) the downloads are only possible with login
>
>2) it does not say what these packages actually do
>I assume they use bash scripts during the install to download and patch
>the kernel source, compile and install it?
>
>3) where is the source for building these packages?
>I don't think anyone here would simply install packages without knowing
>what is actually being executed...
>Making the package source available would also be helpful to adapt it
>for other systems.
>
>4) On which Linux distributions and versions was this tested?
>
>Cheers,
>Dorian
>

>On 18/09/14 03:19, Yanzhen Wang wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> A real-time host OS may be needed when one is dealing with real-time
>> guarantees in ROS applications. To make the installation of an
>> rt-patched Linux kernel much easier, we created two Debian packages
>> which do most of the work. They uses the Linux 3.8.13-rt16 RT-PREEMPT
>> patch for 32-bit and 64-bit systems, respectively.
>>
>> If you would like to give them a try, you can download the packages
>> from the following links:
>> 32-bit: http://micros.nudt.edu.cn/ros/attachments/download/6409/linux-image-3.8.13-rt16-i386-v0.0.1.deb
>> 64-bit: http://micros.nudt.edu.cn/ros/attachments/download/6413/linux-image-3.8.13-rt16_3.8.13-rt16-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb
>>
>> Place the corresponding package in any directory, and then run the
>> following command and reboot the system.
>> sudo dpkg -i linux-image-XXXX.deb
>>
>> Now the real-time kernel will be there.
>>
>> We would be grateful if you can try them out and any feedback would be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Yanzhen

>--
>Dipl.-Inform. Dorian Scholz         E-Mail:scholz(at)sim.tu-darmstadt.de
>Simulation, Systems Optimization    Phone:  +49 (0) 6151 16-4811
and Robotics Group                  Fax:    +49 (0) 6151 16-6648