[ros-users] Bridging the gap between ROS and JAUS

Danny Kent danny at openjaus.com
Wed Sep 24 17:46:20 UTC 2014

Hello ROS Users!

One of the questions we've heard quite often lately is how to bridge the
gap between ROS and JAUS. The Joint Architecture for Unmanned Systems
(JAUS) is an SAE International Standard for command and control of robots.
A lot of people have built solutions based on ROS and need to quickly and
reliably integrate those solutions using JAUS or vice versa. Previously,
the learning curve to do has been difficult as there has been a lack of
software to solve the problem. To assist with this problem we decided to
build a software bridge between ROS and JAUS. We call it jROS and we've
just finished our first cut at it!

jROS allows users to combine the power and flexibility of ROS with the
maturity and robustness of the JAUS standard. The software consists of a
set of ROS messages and services which are defined with respect to the JAUS
message structure. This creates a 1-to-1 mapping of data in JAUS and ROS
via our jROS Package. Adding the jROS topics to an existing ROS system is
trivial. Once integrated, the ROS data can be exchanged with the JAUS
network in a well-defined way.

Take a closer look at jROS here: http://www.openjaus.com/products/jros

Best,
~Danny Kent, PhD
Co-Founder
OpenJAUS, LLC
*There's 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and
those who don't.*