[ros-users] ROS installation for OS X

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Tue Jul 21 16:28:37 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Greg Brill and I have been working on establishing a script that can more
or less automatically set up a ROS desktop_full install on Mavericks and
Yosemite; we'd be glad for a few brave souls to give it a try:

https://github.com/mikepurvis/ros-install-osx

Some key ways in which this differs from the official instructions
<http://wiki.ros.org/indigo/Installation/OSX/Homebrew/Source#Installation_Instructions_for_Indigo_in_OSX>
is that it:

   - uses brewed python instead of system python,
   - uses catkin_tools to build in parallel instead of catkin_make_isolated,
   - requires very minimal and well-documented sudo use, and
   - tries to automatically detect some problematic configurations and
   provide appropriate prompts/suggestions.

The desktop_full build itself is about 30 minutes; the remainder of the
time is spent fetching and building dependencies (especially VTK and Gazebo
5). Total time on most systems should be < 1h.

Our intent is to set up some form of CI which can periodically re-run this
setup on a vanilla machine, and thus keep it from regressing, however such
a thing is still to come— this overall procedure is long enough that it's
not a good fit for Travis CI.

Bugs and pull requests welcome,

Mike