[ros-users] New Tool: roscompile - Catkin Metadata Helper

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Fri Jul 24 19:12:52 UTC 2015

David,

This looks like a convenient tool! How does it know when to add a
dependency for you based on your source code? Does that work with Python or
C++ or both (or other languages)?

It seems like some of these features would be good additions to
catkin_lint, and some of the convenience could be captured with a
`catkin_lint <package_name> --apply` or something like that.

You also mentioned checking launch files and adding missing dependencies
based on that. Does that overlap with the cmake macro roslaunch provides?:

http://wiki.ros.org/roslaunch#Catkin

Maybe they could share logic, where the test (which is used for regression
testing) and the tool use common logic to detect the problem, but the tool
can additionally fix the issue (--apply/--fix semantic)?

I can sympathize with the parsing of CMake, I helped one of my coworkers at
Willow with the parsing when we were writing the first version of the
catkinize script (I don't think it is using this library anymore though):

https://github.com/wjwwood/parse_cmake

I eventually had to fork it (I didn't have access to the pypi login and
couldn't reach the previous maintainer), but maybe that library could help
you with the parsing.

Also we've used this cmake-lint library which parses CMake as part of the
linting, maybe it could also be an inspiration:

https://github.com/richq/cmake-lint

Thanks for sharing!

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 8:28 AM, David Lu!! via ros-users <
ros-users at lists.ros.org> wrote:

> Right now it only adds dependencies. Ticketed removal:
> https://github.com/DLu/roscompile/issues/6
>
> roslint is primarily for identifying errors, as I understand it. I
> wasn't aware of catkin_lint. I wish I had been because CMake parsing
> is hard.
>
> I could imagine integrating with catkin_lint, but don't have the
> cycles to undertake that at the moment.
>
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 10:54 AM, kruset <kruset at mail.in.tum.de> wrote:
> > Does this only add dependencies or also remove obsolete ones (where no
> usage
> > could be detected)?
> > Could this be rather added to roslint or catkin_lint?
> >

> > On 2015-07-24 15:39, David Lu!! via ros-users wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a confession to make. I'm not very good at Catkin. One reason
> >> is because there is a lot more metadata to maintain. Unlike Ye Olde
> >> Rosbuild, where you could add a dependency by adding a single tag in
> >> the manifest, Catkin requires you add the build and run dependencies
> >> to the package.xml, as well as add the dependencies in the
> >> CMakeLists.txt in a couple places.
> >>
> >> That's why I've developed a tool called roscompile, which I've found
> >> invaluable for cleaning up my packages for release. It attempts to do
> >> the hard work for you by 'compiling' the information that already
> >> exists in the package.
> >>
> >>  * Did you just add a dependency on a new package in your source code?
> >> roscompile will read the source and add the appropriate tags to your
> >> package.xml and CMakeLists.txt.
> >>
> >>  * Create a new launch file that uses map_server? roscompile reads
> >> launch files to add run_depends.
> >>
> >>  * Add a new msg/srv/action/dynamic_reconfiguration/plugin? roscompile
> >> generates the metadata for that too.
> >>
> >> Check it out here: https://github.com/DLu/roscompile
> >> (contains a full list of features and issues page)
> >>
> >> Of course, the tool is far from perfect. It should not be used to
> >> blindly make changes to critical repos. I welcome collaboration to
> >> help cover people's use cases other than my own.
> >>
> >> Happy Catkining,
> >> David!!

William Woodall
ROS Development Team