[ros-users] ROS Community Slack

Jackie Kay jackie at osrfoundation.org
Tue Jul 28 23:39:30 UTC 2015

Hey folks,

We'd like to try something new to engage the community and stimulate
discussion about ROS.

Slack <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slack_%28software%29> is a chat tool
designed for software team collaboration. It provides a few more bells and
whistles than email and IRC, such as indexed subchannels, Github
integration, pinned messages, flexible search options, etc. We don't intend
for it to replace email, but we hope it can be useful to you to connect
with other members of the ROS community in a casual, low-latency way.

If you'd like to give it a try, sign up using this link:

https://ros-org-slack.herokuapp.com/

The actual app is hosted here: https://rosorg.slack.com/

We've created a few channels based on popular discussion topics in the
community. Please join any channel that you find interesting. You'll
automatically be subscribed to #general and #random if you sign up.

If you hate web apps, you can use an IRC gateway to connect with the
discussion on Slack:
https://slack.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201727913-Connecting-to-Slack-over-IRC-and-XMPP

As a reminder, you can access our IRC channel here:
http://irc.lc/oftc/ros/yournamehere

And in case you can't get off Reddit, why not check out the ROS subreddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ROS/

Happy chatting,

Jackie