[ros-users] New Versions of rviz

Aaron Blasdel ablasdel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 10:00:32 UTC 2015

Hey daniele,

Rviz and rqt are two different tools that both have their strengths. Rqt is
by NO means intended to replace RVIZ.

The strength of rqt is that it provides you with a quick and easy to
create/configure ros ready gui with very little dev time required.

Obviously an Rviz plugin is still going to be the better choice if the
application you are developing requires the strong visualization components
that Rviz is so excellent at.

As for the state of Rviz IN rqt, The rqt_Rviz rqt plugin is simply a proof
of concept of what is possible in the rqt plugin system. It is in no way
intended as a better way, or honestly even a good way, to use Rviz.

I will look into adding a note on Rqt_Rviz to indicate this if you think it
would help reduce confusion in this regard.

If you are still confused please feel to email me personally and I can
answer any questions you have.

Thanks,

Aaron Blasdel