[ros-users] clarifying package installation 'best practices'?

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Wed Mar 4 13:19:19 UTC 2015

As an OEM who ships a lot of robots to first-time ROS users, one of the
things I/we have thought about at Clearpath is exactly how to configure the
robots for the best combination of ease-of-production on our side,
ease-of-getting-started on the user's side, and ease-of-maintenance on the
user's side. The current state of affairs is:

   - Everything on the robots is installed from debs, from a combination of
   packages.ros.org (buildfarm) and packages.clearpathrobotics.com
   (in-house buildbot-ros builds).
   - An /etc/ros/setup.bash file falls through to
   /opt/ros/indigo/setup.bash. This is what is sourced for the robot_upstart
   job which brings up the base software.
   - The homedir is populated with a README file explaining how to create a
   workspace with a new package in it...
   - ... and further how to change that "master" setup.bash, in the event
   that your new package contains nodelets, plugins, or things you want to
   launch as part of the robot_upstart background job.
   - Because all the "system" software is installed from debs, upgrading is
   a fairly sane update/dist-upgrade story.
   - But, if there's a repo of special customization
   launchers/URDF/whatever that's specific to that one platform, it is
   configured as a package and placed in a source workspace in the homedir.
   - The desktop and simulator software is also distributed as debs, and so
   provide a sane story for getting started on the user's supporting computer
   (but if the user wants the meshes or other stuff from a customization
   package, it must be manually copied over, le sigh).

We also resell a number of other vendors' products, and many do not make it
any farther than a source workspace for everything— often with a manual
apt-get step for dependencies (rather than using rosdep). On the one hand,
this is perhaps easier for hacking on and exploring the platform's own
software, but it sucks for pretty much everything else.

Anyhow, if anyone's interested in these issues or has thoughts about how to
improve the state of affairs for OEMs or users of OEM robots, please get in
touch off-list, would love to discuss further; at some point we could also
consider establishing a SIG for vendors. In any case, I can be found at
mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com

M.