[ros-users] clarifying package installation 'best practices'?

Jamie Alessio jamie at stoic.net
Fri Mar 6 20:13:37 UTC 2015

> Our setup at present is mostly defined in a big templated debian-installer
> preseed file, but we're experimenting with Ansible, and I know others have
> created ROS configurations in puppet and vagrant.

I too was experimenting with Ansible and in the process I created a
bare-bones Ansible Role for installing ROS packages. At this point it
basically just installs your package of choice from packages.ros.org. The
Role is relatively simple, but I did put in place tests for ROS Indigo,
Hydro, and Groovy on Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04. These Ansible Role tests are
run in Docker containers so that's a known-working configuration. It's also
easy to run this with Vagrant/Virtualbox.

https://galaxy.ansible.com/list#/roles/2832
https://github.com/jalessio/ansible-role-ros

This was my first time working with Ansible so feedback and pull requests
are welcome.

- Jamie