[ros-users] clarifying package installation 'best practices'?

Ugo Cupcic ugo at shadowrobot.com
Mon Mar 9 09:01:40 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Regarding ansible, we also have a bunch of roles here :
github.com/shadow-robot/sr-build-tools.

It might be a good idea to synchronise efforts on this kind of
configuration tools if there is enough interest from the community?

Cheers,

Ugo
On Mar 6, 2015 9:36 PM, "Jamie Alessio" <jamie at stoic.net> wrote:

> Our setup at present is mostly defined in a big templated debian-installer
>> preseed file, but we're experimenting with Ansible, and I know others have
>> created ROS configurations in puppet and vagrant.
>

> I too was experimenting with Ansible and in the process I created a
> bare-bones Ansible Role for installing ROS packages. At this point it
> basically just installs your package of choice from packages.ros.org. The
> Role is relatively simple, but I did put in place tests for ROS Indigo,
> Hydro, and Groovy on Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04. These Ansible Role tests are
> run in Docker containers so that's a known-working configuration. It's also
> easy to run this with Vagrant/Virtualbox.
>
> https://galaxy.ansible.com/list#/roles/2832
> https://github.com/jalessio/ansible-role-ros
>
> This was my first time working with Ansible so feedback and pull requests
> are welcome.
>
> - Jamie

*Shadow Robot Company Ltd.*
251 Liverpool Road, N1 1LX, UK
Registered Number 3308007 (England & Wales)

RoNeX - Building Robots with ROS Made Easy
http://www.shadowrobot.com/products/ronex/