[ros-users] Announcing ROSimple, web-based block programming tools for ROS robots

Víctor Mayoral Vilches victor at erlerobot.com
Thu Nov 26 10:34:56 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

For the last months we provided several training sessions on how to use our
brains and robots based in ROS. While doing so we noticed that many people
struggled at understanding ROS so we started exploring a way to make this
process easier.

We prototyped different concepts and decided that ideally wanted to reach
high schools students. At this point we removed the assumption of "coding
skills" from the equation which made us look into systems like Scratch for
robot programming. After taking inspiration from previous work we are happy
to present ROSimple: a multiplatform, web-based tool for programming robots
and drones that use ROS.

Here's a short clip that introduces ROSimple:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPNr4d6ZwMo.

We like to think of ROSimple as a simple way to program robots using ROS.
Code is available at https://github.com/erlerobot/ros_rosimple and there's
a first iteration of documentation at http://wiki.ros.org/rosimple.

Many thanks,

*Víctor Mayoral Vilches*