[ros-users] ROS 2.0 Strategy review

Dirk Thomas dthomas at osrfoundation.org
Mon Sep 28 16:14:04 UTC 2015

The formulated goal is that a user land node is commonly compiled into a
library and only uses the ROS interfaces (no vendor specific DDS API
directly).
That means that the compiled code of a package does not choose an explicit
vendor but that decision is deferred until runtime.
Currently there are technical challenges especially on Windows to reach
that goal but we are working on that part.

Once we reach that goal the raised concerns regarding vendor lock-in are
pretty much down to: you have to test existing code when using a different
vendor then the default one (which probably applies to every software).

- Dirk