[ros-users] ROS 2.0 Strategy review

Brian Gerkey gerkey at osrfoundation.org
Wed Sep 30 15:09:18 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Johan Fabry via ros-users
<ros-users at lists.ros.org> wrote:

> Have a migration plan with automatized migration tools. (Semi-)automatic
> source code rewriting is no black magic and it will be a big help e.g. in
> those cases where an API change is needed. Google does this with Go and it
> seems to work out well for them (see 'Mechanical source transformation’ in
> http://blog.golang.org/go-fmt-your-code).

We're very aware of the need for a migration plan.  To that end, we're
maintaining a migration guide as we do new development:
  http://design.ros2.org/articles/migration_guide_from_ros1.html
Here's a complete example of how to migrate a very simple package:
  http://design.ros2.org/articles/migration_guide_from_ros1.html#example-converting-an-existing-ros-1-package-to-use-ros-2

It's likely that those changes could be largely automated, at least
for simple cases.  We haven't tried to write those scripts yet, so we
can't yet say how far we can push automated migration.

brian.