[ros-users] ROS Kinetic Kame Beta has begun

Jackie Kay jackie at osrfoundation.org
Sat Apr 30 02:21:23 UTC 2016

Dear ROS users,

The beta for Kinetic has begun!

Thanks to all of our contributors and maintainers who made this possible.

ros-kinetic-desktop-full is available on Ubuntu Xenial (16.04) and Wily
(15.10). So take a moment to be an upstanding member of the ROS community
and:

- sudo apt-get install ros-kinetic-desktop-full
- Try testing out packages you regularly use that are available in the beta.
- Report any bugs you find on the issue tracker for the package (usually
available on the packge for a package on wiki.ros.org).
- Try out documentation, tutorials, and generated documentation and fix
issues on the Wiki.
- If you are a package maintainer, continue releasing packages, fixing
issues wherever possible, and checking your package documentation. The
Kinetic beta is the best time to change API or change the behavior of your
code, but don't forget to update the Migration page if you do:
http://wiki.ros.org/kinetic/Migration

May 23rd, World Turtle Day, is still our official release date for ROS
Kinetic and we are on track to meeting it! So mark it down into your
calendar, and if you're a maintainer, plan to finish your releases before
then to leave some breathing room.

Known issues with the current state of the beta:
- gazebo_ros_control and control_toolbox are not yet available because of a
pending API change in control_toolbox. If you need one of those packages,
please bug the maintainers and/or me on Github.
- The viz and simulators metapackages (and by extension, desktop-full) are
not available in Debian Jessie because of an issue with Qt5 Widgets in
rqt_rviz.
- armhf and arm64 have some missing packages (see the ARM status page below
for more information).

For a more comprehensive view of the current status of Kinetic, including
packages outside of desktop-full that are available in the beta, see the
status page on repositories.ros.org:

http://repositories.ros.org/status_page/ros_kinetic_default.html
http://repositories.ros.org/status_page/ros_kinetic_arm.html

Have a great weekend,