[ros-users] Buildroot or ?

Lukas Bulwahn Lukas.Bulwahn at bmw-carit.de
Wed Jan 13 08:41:37 UTC 2016

Dear Lars Larsen,

I am maintaining a Yocto Project application layer for ROS for three years now, and I consider it quite stable. It is located at:

https://github.com/bmwcarit/meta-ros

There is documentation and mailing list available and a few users out there as well, even though the majority of users solve their use case differently.

In my understanding, many users that would like to compile for embedded ARM boards actually just download the pre-compiled ARM images and then compile their own sources in ARM virtual machines (and docker setups). Hence, many do not use/need to use a true cross compiling tool chain, such as buildroot and Yocto Project.

On the choice on buildroot or Yocto Project, both do a good job. In short, buildroot is lightweight and aims more to the style Linux kernel developers know; Yocto Project is more full-fledged and comes with much more tooling, GUI integration and such. But there are probably that shed much more light (and opinions) on the buildroot vs. Yocto Project question.

Lukas