[ros-users] Merging MoveIt! Repos, World MoveIt! Day

Dave Coleman davetcoleman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 02:53:34 UTC 2016

Hello ROS community, two exciting MoveIt! announcements:

*# Merging MoveIt! Repos*

In an effort to reduce the friction in maintaining and improving the
MoveIt! code base, we are planning on consolidating *9* of our current
Github repositories into one master repo
<https://github.com/ros-planning/moveit>. The rational for this has been
discussed on Discourse
<http://discourse.ros.org/t/migration-to-one-github-repo-for-moveit/266>. We
are targeting this consolidation for *Friday August 5th**. *If you develop
from source code in MoveIt!, please take a look at the migration notes
<https://github.com/davetcoleman/moveit_merge/tree/migration_notes> and the
section *How You Can Help Us*.

*# World MoveIt! Day*

Mark your calendars for our first ever "World MoveIt! Day" on *Tuesday August
23rd *- a day long international hackathon to improve the MoveIt! code
base, documentation, and community. Following the heels of the repo merge,
we hope to fix all broken links in the documentation, close as many
longstanding pull requests and issues as possible, and have some fun with a
newly released simulation of MoveIt! manipulation + Gazebo + Fetch for us
to do integration tests with.

For those in the Bay Area in California, Fetch Robotics will be sponsoring
an event with food, several robots to play with, and in house engineers to
help with the hackathon.

For people who aren't in the Bay Area - you are encouraged to have your own
event in your lab/organization/company and video conference in to all the
other events. We would also like to mail your team or event some MoveIt!
stickers to schwag out your robots with. Join the discussion for this event
on Discourse <http://discourse.ros.org/t/world-moveit-day-planning/365> or
subscribe to the moveit mailing list
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/moveit-users> for more updates.

Thanks,