[ros-users] [GSoC Project] Cartesian Impedance Control

Kelsey Hawkins kphawkins at gmail.com
Sun May 1 00:29:45 UTC 2016

Wrote a hybrid force controller a long time ago based on the Cartesian
controller for the PR2:

https://github.com/gt-ros-pkg/hrl-pr2-behaviors/blob/master/hrl_pr2_force_ctrl/src/hybrid_force_controller.cpp

>From what I remember, you should be able to send it a local direction
cosines frame which allows you to decompose the Cartesian controller into
control in the 3 linear dimensions and the 3 angular dimensions. For each
dimension, you could pick whether it applies a target force using a PI
controller or controls to a set point with individually specified impedance
gains. Also does control in the null space.

It assumes a force torque sensor at the wrist, however.

Here's a simple Cartesian position controller I wrote about a year and a
half ago:
https://github.com/gt-ros-pkg/ros_controllers/tree/cartesian-ctrl/cartesian_position_controller

This was designed to work with ros-control, but might have only worked with
my fork of ros-control. This should let you set gains for each direction
and possibly let you pick the orocos solver for inverse velocity.

I can't promise any support, but hopefully this code will point you in the
right direction.

-Kelsey