[ros-users] Announcing the Bag Database

P. J. Reed preed at swri.org
Thu May 5 22:18:58 UTC 2016

Thanks!

- Description is currently only entered via users; location will be
automatically populated if you've configured a Google API key and it can
find at least one GPS coordinate; and the vehicle field will be
automatically populated by the first string it finds on the
"/vms/vehicle_name" topic.

- Regarding the vehicle names and GPS topics, I realize it's bad to have
the topic names hard-coded. :-)  Making those configurable is on my
issue list.  The list of GPS topics was originally done because many of
our bag files have multiple topics with GPS messages, and some of them
are "better" than others (due to corrections or filtering being
applied), so they were prioritized in order to only extract the best
results.
I think that it doesn't look for /any/ NavSatFix out of the fear that
that would be slow... but after having used it for a while and observed
its speed, I think that fear is unfounded, so it would make sense to
fall back to that if none of the prioritized topics are found.

- Multi-editing is not currently possible, but something I've thought
about before, so I'll add an issue for that, too.  I've written support
in for inline grid editing, but that's broken in the current version of
ExtJS...

- Currently there's no way to export or import the metadata (barring
logging into the database and running raw SQL), but I agree that would
be nice to do; I'll take a look at your tool and see if there's some way
to integrate that or make them compatible with each other.